What are Personalized Retargeting Ads?
Personalized Retargeting is a form of advertising that targets customers that have previously visited a website or interacted with a brand. These ads are specifically tailored to the user’s behavior and the goal is to reignite their interest in a particular product or service. Moreover, by showing customers relevant products and highlighting specific offers, users are more inclined to continue browsing and eventually complete the purchase they were deciding on before.
Guide to Advanced Customer Segmentation
How does Personalized Retargeting work?
Personalized Retargeting ads work by utilizing data to target people who have previously visited a website. First, a customer has to interact with your website in some way; this can include signing up for a newsletter, adding something to cart, or spending time looking through the website. Then, a cookie is placed on their browser, tracking behavior and storing information about each interaction that the customer has. Next, when the customer leaves the website/platform, the cookie prompts the retargeting ad to show up. Since the cookie collected specific, personalized data, the retargeting ad is intentional about mirroring the customer’s interests, as shown by their history on the website.
Personalized Retargeting vs Remarketing – what’s the difference?
Now, you may have heard the term, “remarketing”. However, it is not the same as “retargeting”. These terms are often used interchangeably but there are slight differences between the two. Remarketing is a broad term that encompasses multiple strategies to reengage users who have previously interacted with a website. Personalized retargeting is a subset of remarketing that focusses on tailoring ads to users based on their past behaviors. Other subsets of remarketing include email marketing general display ads.
How can you create an effective personalized retargeting ad?
In order to create an effective personalized retargeting ad, there are various steps.
- Define your goals: First, you have to determine what your desired action is from the user. These actions can include making a purchase, filling out a survey/form, watching a video, etc.
- Segment your audience: You also have to make sure to segment your audience into groups based on their history and behaviors. This way, ads can be personalized and targeted.
- Show personalized recommendations: Next, the advertisements must reflect the data collected from cookies on the website.
- Test and optimize: Finally, you should test different ad formats to see what generates the most engagement from customers.
Additionally, you must think about the customer journey:
- When does the customer initially interact with the website?
- How is the customer’s data collected?
- How does the customer receive/interact with the retargeting ad?
- What course of action does the customer take?
Best practices for personalized retargeting?
The best practices for personalized retargeting include:
- Being transparent with your customers about data collection (following all laws and regulations including GDPR and CCPA)
- Sending messages in a relevant and timely manner
- Testing different formats, messages, and offers
- Sending ads to customers on all of their devices
And don’t forget to be creative!
The Guide to Advanced Customer Segmentation
Go in depth on advanced segmentation with this guide which was written based on analyzing tens of thousands of segments across Optimove’s customer base.
Learn How Optimove’s Personalized Retargeting Solution Can Help You Grow Your Business
Optimove’s recommendation engine utilizes more than 20 real-time Machine Learning models, so you can provide targeted advertising to individual users across various third-party ad platforms. This personalized approach significantly increases the effectiveness of our programmatic ads, resulting in higher click-through rates and ROI of over 90%.
Optimove helps to enhance the effectiveness of advertisements with dynamic and personalized content on channels including Display, Social, Video and Mobile.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can you write a good retargeting ad?
The purpose of retargeting ads is to encourage customers who have previously interacted with your brand to reengage and take specific action. Moreover, there are multiple practices that can help companies do this in the most effective and efficient way:
* Know your audience
* Create a sense of urgency or call to action (CTA)
* Keep ads concise and to the point
* Align ads with brand image
* Make dynamic changes based on data insights
What is retargeting vs dynamic retargeting?
As we know, retargeting generally involves advertising to customers who have previously visited your site or interacted with your brand.
However, dynamic retargeting takes this one step further by dynamically generating and displaying ads that are personalized to each user. Based on user’s previous behavior and engagement, highly relevant and tailored ads are continuously presented to these customers.
Start Using Marketing Action Optimization Today!
Get a personalized tour of Optimove
Let us show you how to go from tens to hundreds of segments